[Xapian-discuss] "Error reading block xxx: got end of file"

Eric Ridge ebr@tcdi.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 14:06:29 -0400

On May 11, 2004, at 1:54 PM, Olly Betts wrote:

> "repalce"?  Is this retyped, or is there really a typo in the JNI
> method
> name?

doh!  type-o in the JNI method name.  ugh.  I'll get this fixed and
send a patch.

> Quartz tried to read a block off the end of the Btree file.

I guess the question is "why?" would it try to do that?  Is it a bug in
Quartz, am I doing something wrong, or was it a solar flare?  Does
.replace_document() do anything special/tricky above and beyond a
.delete_document() + .add_document() (other than re-use the existing
docid)?

>> I'd provide more details, but I'm not exactly sure what is relevant.
>
> First thing to do is to run "quartzcheck" on the database to see if the
> btree's are consistent.

we'll do this once the job finishes.  We've got other indexes to update
as well, and need to wait out the storm on this index first.

> It's possible it's fixed in 0.8.0 - I can't see anything in the
> ChangeLog, but quartz changed in a major way from 0.7.5 to 0.8.0...

We've discussed this internally, and are hesitant to upgrade to 0.8.0
on our production systems.  But it is an option we're reserving.  Also,
I've done no testing with the JNI stuff against 0.8.0.

eric