[Xapian-discuss] debs missing query templates

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Nov 23 15:52:53 GMT 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 03:16:31PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 02:15:34PM +0000, Richard Boulton wrote:
>
> > Olly, James - have you any opinion on where the templates and images for
> > omega should be installed by default?  Or, is there a good reason that
> > we should never install them by default?  (If so, we could make them be
> > installed by a special target which the debian build invokes.)
>
> /usr/share/omega/images and /usr/share/omega/templates and so forth
> would seem to be in keeping with Debian (although I haven't read the
> maintainers' guide, as a Debian admin that's where I'd expect them to
> be).

It should probably be xapian-omega rather than omega since the package
name is xapian-omega.

And the templates should really be under /var since it's expected
they'll be modified.

There's a long discussion in the archives about where (and whether) the
images should be installed in the web server tree.  For an install from
source, it's pretty much impossible to do the right thing, and very
easy to do the wrong thing.  For packages, it's easier to have a sane
default, and less suprising to the user.  E.g. the RPMs install images
in:

/var/www/icons/omega

Hmm - I notice that the RPMs put the templates in:

/var/lib/omega/templates

There're platform independent, so /var/share is more correct really.
And omega should probably be xapian-omega (FC2 apparently has an omega
package which is a game or something).

Similarly the RPMs expect the database directory to be:

/var/lib/omega/data

Xapian database are portable between platforms, so again /var/share is
more correct.  The default omega.conf we ship also gets this wrong.

I propose fixing all these.

> > We also need to add the documentation to the omega package, really, and
> > make man-pages for things, so there's some work to be done here.
>
> :-/
>
> man-wise, we only need scriptindex and omindex, don't we? It's still
> not trivial, and man is a bit of a pig to write, frankly.

I don't thing writing and maintaining man pages in addition to --help
output and HTML documentation is a sensible use of resources.

I'd suggest using help2man to turn the --help output into a man page.
That way there's a man page with some useful information, and a pointer
to the HTML documentation.  And it won't suffer from bitrot.