[Xapian-discuss] xapian-bindings compile creates 34mb xapian_wrap.o file?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Oct 18 22:37:48 BST 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 02:23:56PM -0700, Eric Parusel wrote:
> Yeah, unfortunately posts like this:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2004-08/msg00020.php
>
> are scaring me off of making a shared library that calls xapian's c++
> library... :/

That's exactly what the SWIG bindings are doing.  The glue library is
in C++ and calls Xapian, while the script interpreter is not written in
C++ (well, some might be, but they certainly aren't all).

We just let libtool do the library linking - if there's any magic
required, libtool knows what to do.

I wouldn't be suprised if doing this was a lot harder a few years ago.
It probably needs support in the dynamic loader for instance.