[Xapian-discuss] TCL Bindings

Michael Schlenker schlenk at uni-oldenburg.de
Wed Oct 20 16:54:20 BST 2004

Olly Betts schrieb:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:13:13PM +0200, Michael Schlenker wrote:
>
>>Its odd if you come from a language like C,C++ or Pascal, Java, it gets
>>more natural and easy if you come from the LISP side. Its lack of syntax
>>makes it hard to learn for folks coming from C,C++ or Java, but it has
>>very clear and abstract rules...
>

> Ah, I hadn't grasped it was LISP like.  That'll probably help me get my
> head round it, though I've not written LISP for years.
>

>>Is your tcl simplesearch in CVS? I could take a look at it and try to
>>smooth the Tcl usage, if you want.
>

> That'd be great:
>
> http://cvs.xapian.org/*checkout*/xapian/xapian-bindings/tcl8/docs/examples/simplesearch.tcl?content-type=text/plain
>
> And less important, but the smoketest is here:
>
> http://cvs.xapian.org/*checkout*/xapian/xapian-bindings/tcl8/smoketest.tcl?content-type=text/plain

Ok, i took a look, it looks more ok, i fixed some usage patterns to more
common tcl idoms, but otherwise its good. There is a little discussion
about proper packaging for tcl in simplesearch.tcl included...,
basically a pkgIndex.tcl file has to be added to make a proper package,
but load as it is works too...

I don't have a built xapian around for testing right now, but just ask
if there are any tcl packaging related questions around. The SWIG
bindings are not world class, but doing a more natural binding would be
just more work.

Michael