[Xapian-discuss] Debian package large file support?

Eric Parusel eparusel at creativens.com
Sat Oct 30 08:16:45 BST 2004

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 01:24:14PM -0700, Eric Parusel wrote:
>
>>I would assume this is a yes, but does the 0.8.3 debian package supplied
>>on xapian.org have large file support compiled in?
>

> LFS is turned on automatically if configure detects it, and we use the
> standard autoconf test.  I don't use the debs myself, but I'd be
> extremely suprised if LFS didn't get turned on for *any* modern Linux
> system, and I've built from source on Debian and been able to use >2G
> tables.
>
> Cheers,
>     Olly

Ok, sounds good.
The reason I asked is because I was compiling xapian-core again on my
FreeBSD test box (where the debug logs came from) and during the
configure I saw the following:

checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no

We don't currently use FreeBSD in production with Xapian though.

I wonder what would have to be done to properly check for FreeBSD's
large file support?  (Which has existed for quite some time, I believe
FreeBSD has handled large files long before Linux did..?)

Actually, according to:
http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/largefile/freebsd.html
FreeBSD has off_t as 64bit always, no compiler flags needed?

I guess this would mean that this ./configure output doesn't mean much :)

Thanks,
Eric