[Xapian-discuss] Result Priorities

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Sep 9 19:06:29 BST 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 12:49:55PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 12:25:06PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > > At the very least it should probably be an option - does anyone
> > > disagree with me, or can it go on the list?
> >
> > It's on my list, but I certainly don't mind if someone else implements
> > it before I get round to it!
>
> It doesn't seem to be in Bugzilla ... although I can't be sure because
> of its horrible interface. (Should I still be paying attention to
> Bugzilla?)

I've not been filing tasks in bugzilla which I mean to look at in the
near future - the web interface really isn't bad once you get the hang
of it, but it's certainly not ideal for mass-filing.

However, I've just got a my natty script working, so now I can select a
chunk of text in vim and pipe it into a script which files it as a new
bug in bugzilla (with the first line as the summary and the rest as the
comments).  The selected text is then replaced with the bug number -
handy if you're sent a mail and want to file it as a bug and reply
saying "this is now bug #42".

So expect to see lots more entries appearing in bugzilla.

I'll tidy up the script and put it in CVS.  Not hardcoding my name and
password, plus being able to set other fields would be useful...

> > The change in the matcher is pretty trivial I believe - writing a good
> > test case to check it works and to make sure it keeps working will take
> > most of the time I suspect...
>
> As a start, we want something based on a simple corpus:
>
> did terms
> 1   (man woman)
> 2   (woman)
> 3   (man woman fish)
> 4   (fish)
>
> Search on 'woman' and you'll get something like (2:99%, 1:86%,
> 3:75%). So now make three documents for every one, with value 1 being
> chosen appropriately:
>
> did value(1) terms
> 1   1        man woman
> 2   1        woman
> 3   1        man woman fish
> 4   2        man woman fish
> 5   2        man woman
> 6   2        woman
> 7   3        woman
> 8   3        man woman fish
> 9   3        man woman

I've turned this into a testcase which appears to break sorting as
presently implemented!  I only get 8 hits back for a search on woman,
sorting on that value (I would expect 9).  I've not dug deeper yet, but
it seems most odd.  Perhaps an off-by-one error in the matcher?  I'll
look more closely soon.