[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 0.8.2 released

fabrice.colin at ntlworld.com fabrice.colin at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 20 09:47:16 BST 2004

> From: Olly Betts <olly at survex.com>
> I think "Applications/Databases" is probably the best fit
> of any of the "Applications" categories.  Xapian is a free
> text searching database (although I suspect many will
> assume "relational database" when they see "database").

I like this, this gets my vote ;-)

> Otherwise "Applications/Text" is probably a shade better
> than "Applications/File".  Most applications for Xapian
> are searching text, though there's no reason you couldn't
> use it for music or image features...

With "Text", some people might think that the tools bundled
in the RPM manipulate text a la sed/awk.

> Perhaps if we can't see a good Applications category it
> would be better to leave it as "System
> Environment/Libraries" rather than try to ram it into an
> ill-suited category.

IIRC, this is the what the new -libs package use, or isn't?
As the base package now only contains binaries, something
under "Applications" seems to make more sense.

Just out of curiosity, what do the Debian packages use ? I
am not familiar with Debian, maybe this doesn't apply.

Fabrice