[Xapian-discuss] constructing phrase queries

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Sep 30 11:54:12 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 11:31:18AM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:

> I think it needs to be possible to pass OP_ELITE_SET nodes an arbitrary
> list of terms, too.

Yes, good point. All these will be handled by a Query constructor that
takes a sequence of strings (in Python language).

ISTR that I hit a wall last time - still trying to rebuild everything
- so I'll contact the SWIG guys once I've confirmed where I am.

> > That would be an interesting extension, equivalent to the query parser
> > but a good deal more powerful. I don't know exactly what the grammar
> > of get_description() is, but I doubt it would be all that difficult to
> > do ...
>
> I'm not sure that get_description() currently correctly escapes the
> necessary characters (eg, ':').  Ensuring that such escaping happens
> both ways is the only pitfall I can think of to this plan.

Yeah, we'd need to write a formal grammar and do it properly.

Of course, since you'd be programmatically creating this, it would be
better just to ensure that you could write your parser code to build
the Query properly in whatever language you use. :-)