QueryParser (was Re: [Xapian-discuss] UTF8 support plans (without stemming))

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 28 14:15:33 BST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:17:20PM +0200, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> I personally can't see why there even _is_ a query parser in Xapian
> core. After all the query language really depends on the aplication...

That's true to some extent, but the query language will typically look
very similar to that used by the big web search engines, since many
users will have had exposure to that.  The rewritten QueryParser also
allows you to turn off features (so you can disable boolean operators,
phrases, etc).

You don't have to use it, but it will save many people from having to
reinvent the wheel.