[Xapian-discuss] Xapian on AMD64

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Aug 16 15:28:07 BST 2005

As for the general question, yes Xapian works fine on 64 bit targets.
There are regular AMD64, ia64, and parisc64 tinderbox builds, and my
current dev box is AMD64.

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:43:53PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> To be honest, not sure - I'm just using our standard build environment
> at work, which I didn't set up. It's gcc 3.3, and I imagine it came
> from Sun Freeware. For 64 bit you have to add in -m64 to CXXFLAGS.
>
> It builds for 64 bit quite happily in principle, but I've never built
> C++ using it (it gets the libstdc++ location wrong) or easily for
> thread-needy stuff (I had a problem the other day that was very
> similar with sleepycat, which uses pthreads as does Xapian - although
> my diagnosis of what's common here may be completely off).
>
> What happens is that I can build the objects happily, but at link
> (library or application) it tries to link in libgcc_s and libstdc++
> from the 32bit directory not the 64bit one. This is almost certainly a
> compiler/libtool configuration problem on the host here rather than
> anything else. When I get a chance I'll stick Solaris 10 on a spare
> box and try that, as I have a suspicion that may be easier.

Perhaps you need to pass "-m64" (or something similar) in LDFLAGS as
well as CXXFLAGS?  CXXFLAGS is only used for compilation, not linking.

Unless you tell it, I doubt g++ will know it needs to link a different
libstdc++, etc.