[Xapian-discuss] Error compiling Perl bindings

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Dec 6 06:08:04 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 07:36:10PM +0000, Francis Irving wrote:
> Just realised I'm being a bit silly - the error is because I compiled
> Xapian without the in memory database. That in turn was because I got
> the below errors when compiling xapian-core-0.9.2.

I should patch the perl bindings to build even if backends have been
disabled (like the swig-based bindings now do).

> They look like things g++-4.0 is being fussy about. If I add
> "class InMemoryDatabase;" just above the class definition
>     class InMemoryPostList : public LeafPostList {
> backends/inmemory/inmemory_database.h, that seems to fix it.

Yeah, that's a know problem in 0.9.2 (and fixed in SVN):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.devel/565

I've since discovered that this warning was added in GCC 4.0.1, which is
why my build with a 4.0 prerelease snapshot didn't hit it.

Hopefully I can get a new release out soon, but I've been hoping that
for several weeks now...