[Xapian-discuss] Status of the Guile and C# bindings?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Dec 20 10:26:14 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 05:19:14PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> This is currently failing to compile for me when generated with SWIG
> 1.3.27 because SWIG_exception isn't defined (though it seems to be
> in exceptions.i.  That looks like a SWIG bug.  Anyway, hacking around
> that I can compile the code but can't test it right now as ixion lacks
> the C# tools and my normal dev box is currently disconnected.

I've connected my dev box back up and worked out how to find out what
exception you've just caught in C#, and found that the it was trying to
load the wrong shared library.  Fixing that, the smoketest now passes,
except that it won't compile the call to inmemory_open() for some
reason so that is commented out.

So once I check in these changes, the C# bindings may actually be
usable, though some documentation and examples would be nice.  I'll
try to put some together, though I don't know much about C# so feel
free to step in and improve them!

I think going forward that we should probably make tests, documentation,
and examples a requirement for accepting bindings for a new language.
Otherwise I feel we're doing our users a disservice.