[Xapian-discuss] File Descriptors

Mike Boone mike at boonedocks.net
Fri Jan 28 16:19:58 GMT 2005

We are currently having problem with "too many open files" on our system. We
have a busy server that runs Apache, MySQL, and PHP on Red Hat Enterprise AS
2.1. The most "exotic" thing the system runs is Xapian 0.8.3, which is
accessed via the PHP-SWIG binding. I'm currently investigating the cause,
and I thought I'd check with this list to see if there was anything obvious
that had to do with Xapian.

We're averaging something like 18,000 Xapian queries a day. Does each Xapian
query create a lot of open files? Is there anything special I need to do to
make sure those files get closed? Are there any special considerations since
I'm using Xapian via the PHP-SWIG binding?

Thanks for your input. I learn something new about Linux every day, though
it's usually the hard way. :)

Mike.