[Xapian-discuss] New QueryParser!

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Jan 28 16:38:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:39:25AM -0500, Eric B. Ridge wrote:

> >I'm not saying let's not have it; I'm saying I don't think it should
> >be in core.
>
> That's fair.  Maybe Omega's text parsing stuff can be moved out into a
> library?

Possibly - it's omega/indextext.cc, which is only 120 odd lines long
including comments. I didn't realise it was so small, actually ...

> >what I deal with is structured or partially-structured to start off
> >with - so something I can feed text to isn't terribly handy.
>
> I'm just the opposite -- indexing freeform text from various sources.
> I (and my users) could care less how the documents are split into terms
> as long as it's reasonable and query-able.

Different horses :-)

We need to make sure that it's reasonably painless for you to use a
library giving this stuff, while reasonably painless for me not to
carry the load. We could go back to having it a compilable option, on
by default, but that idea has rather fallen from favour (I'd be
comfortable with it in this context, I guess, but I still think it's
the wrong approach :).