[Xapian-discuss] Re: [Xapian-devel] Usage with PHP

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Jul 25 12:54:31 BST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:40:09PM +0200, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:

> If the ones which will be pruned are known (and they should be),
> scriptindex can be used for this as well. Just generate a similar text
> (file), but with only the identification of the document. When the rest
> is left out, scriptindex assumes it has to delete the record, and thus
> it can also be used as a batch-deleter.

You're right, of course. For some reason when I checked the
scriptindex source I didn't notice the very obvious delete_document()
call ...

> The same goes for any form of updating; If you keep track when the last
> update was done, you could select all documents that have changed since
> than and update them. At least thats how we use it. We don't really
> delete any forum-topics though, we just mark it as being hidden if we
> "delete" it.

In general I'm in favour of hiding rather than deleting data, but it
depends on the application (and also on your CPU, memory and disk
availability, in some cases).