[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 0.9.1 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jun 15 14:50:36 BST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:36:22PM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> Debian packages of Xapian 0.9.1 are now available from the usual place
> (see http://www.xapian.org/download.php for details).
>
> Note that these are built for the newly released stable version of
> Debian (ie, Debian 3.1, aka "woody").

Erm, aka "sarge"!

> Python bindings are included for python versions 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4.
> Python 2.1 is not supported due to a problem with the SWIG code
> generator - if you're desperate to use python 2.1 with Xapian, olly has
> just posted a patch on the xapian-devel mailing list...
> Python 2.1 support will hopefully return in a future release.

I'll probably get the build system to just apply that patch to the
genearated file for the time being.

> (There are a few minor policy issues that will need to be sorted out
> before this can be done - mainly producing man pages for all the
> utilities - but it's mainly just a case of finding a sponsor and
> uploading the packages.)

My intention was to sort out useful --help output for everything which
doesn't have it, and then just use help2man.  That avoids having the
same information in two places, and having it in the code makes it
more likely to stay up-to-date.

http://www.gnu.org/software/help2man/