[Xapian-discuss] scriptindex on an internet crawl

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jun 23 13:35:29 BST 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 08:14:05AM +0200, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> Can't this be explained by just that scriptindex is very very slow?

In this particularly case, I hope you mean...

> I can imagine that a unique-check for a relatively long identifier with a
> relatively similar beginning can be very time consuming and/or results
> in quite a bit of more btree-work. At least compared to more evenly
> distributed identifiers.

The term length shouldn't make too much difference, but you could be
right that it's just being slow.  Checking a unique id does slow things
down (and there's scope for improvement there), and checking two for
each document could conceivably be worse than double the overhead of
checking one.

Georges: try adding "-v" to the scriptindex command line for verbose
output.  That will make it print a message each time it adds a document
so we'll see if it's actually making slow progress.