[Xapian-discuss] xapian-python and Apache

Benjamin Piwowarski bpiwowar at dcc.uchile.cl
Tue Jun 28 20:48:29 BST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to make a python CGI script which connects itself to a
remote server; while this scripts works when called from the
command-line, I get the following error when executed by apache (with
mod_python):

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler mod_python.cgihandler"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 299, in HandlerDispatch
    result = object(req)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/cgihandler.py", line 96, in handler
    imp.load_module(module_name, fd, path, desc)

  File "/home/bpiwowar/public_html/todocl/simplesearch.py", line 32, in ?
    database = xapian.Database(xapian.remote_open("<HOST>",<PORT>))

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xapian.py", line 576, in __init__
    newobj = _xapian.new_Database(*args)

TypeError: argument number 1: __class__ must be set to new-style class, not 'NoneType' object

I am using Xapian 0.8.5 on a debian sarge

Thanks for any help (I am quite new to python too)
Benjamin Piwowarski