[Xapian-discuss] quartzcompact question

info at bannershift.com info at bannershift.com
Tue May 3 01:24:37 BST 2005

I am using xapian library as a basis of my custom search engine.

I have 2 xapian indexes. I am constantly updating first xapian index.
On a regular basis, after flush, I take snapshot of this index.
And I use it as an index for my search engine.

Looking at the xapina distribution I found small application called
quartzcompact. It turned out that this application is reducing
xapian index size.

I wanted to know how I can gain the best performance.

I have thought about number of possibilities.

I can do quartzcompact on a snapshot of xapian index before
uploading it to a search engine.

I can also do quartzcompact on an index that is constantly changes.

My question what I a best alternative for a constant update
and for a index that is used for search only.

Thanks for any ideas.