[Xapian-discuss] Field-item in AND-query yields more, instead of less results

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Mon May 9 21:49:15 BST 2005

Hi List,

When I search with the following query I get 6 results:
internet AND explorer AND title:(http AND www)

Doing the same with the default operator set to AND and the following
query, I get 700+ results:
internet explorer title:(http www)

I expected to have the same set of results, but apparently the title: is
  OR-ed instead of AND-ed by default, even if the default operator is
set to AND?

These queries yield the same:
(internet explorer) AND title:(http www)
internet explorer AND title:(http www)

But specifying (internet AND explorer) OR title:(http AND www)
yields 2500+ results, so its not really OR-ed.

Test it out yourselves here: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/find,
backend is Xapian/Omega 0.8.5.

Best regards,

Arjen