[Xapian-discuss] Understanding omindex and scriptindex

Gilles Polart-Donat gpolart at free.fr
Tue Nov 1 17:28:10 GMT 2005

Hello,

I continue to investigate Xapian, and I get some headache ! ;-)

I understand that a database is a collection of documents and terms, with a relation between them (a documents contains
terms). A document can have one field of arbitrary datas, meaningful for the program who put them.

To understand uses of Xapian, I look at the omega search engine and it is not as clear as I want for me !

  I see there are some differences in the work made by omindex and scriptindex. I think scriptindex add terms with a
prefix to constraint the query, but the way to do it is free for the user : he can add as many field he needs, if it use
them on query parameters. Omindex is more closed, with no parameters, Right ?

I saw there are two way to add information with a doc :
- put a new line in set_data
- add a new term in the document

How do we make the choice between these two ways ?

I saw a set_value method, but I don't understand (if | where) it is used on a query.

Can omindex and scriptindex share the same database ? For exemple to add some fields with scriptindex on a document
created by omindex. I don't think so, but ...

Best regards

Gilles Polart-Donat