[Xapian-discuss] Python interface problems

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Oct 3 14:26:35 BST 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 01:53:09PM +0200, Wojtek Sobczuk wrote:
> I'm trying to use xapwrap to index some documents in Xapian, but I get
> the following error.  Any ideas how to fix/circumvent this?

Xapwrap is a third party wrapper around Xapian's python bindings, so
I can't help much there.  The author does read this list.

> Also, how 'fast' is Xapian?  I want to use it on a heavily loaded site,
> and I would probably generate 10-20 queries per second (but the queries
> would be limited to 1-8 words from a subset of 100-1000 words).  Would
> that work fine on a dual xeon with SCSI RAID 1 drives?

That should be fine, assuming you've got plenty of RAM in the box.  Note
that dual CPU isn't particularly useful here - it's I/O which is
critical so fast disks and plenty of RAM to cache the Btree blocks.

You might want to consider using the flint backend in 0.9.2 - it's
a work in progress, but the version in 0.9.2 is proving very solid.
It's already in production use at Gmane and a couple of other sites!
Arjen from tweakers.net posted some benchmarks to the list a while
ago which were promising.