[Xapian-discuss] *wildcard* support?

Eric Parusel eparusel at creativens.com
Sat Oct 8 07:53:17 BST 2005

Hello,

  First I wanted to say thanks for a great piece of software, thanks
Olly and others who've contributed!

  I know that Xapian supports right-truncating, if that's the proper
name for wildcard support, as in a search for "xapia*".

I don't believe Xapian supports wildcards on both sides of a term, correct?
Is this something that is technically unfeasable, unpalatable for
performance reasons, or just not on the roadmap because it's a pain? :)

I would generally only use it for shorter strings, like email headers.
I *could* potentially use right-truncating in sequence as below, but I'm
not sure if this is too insane.
terms indexed: Axapian Aapian Apian Aian Aan
search for: A<user_inputted_partial_term>*
Which would obviously use alot of terms!

Thanks,
Eric