[Xapian-discuss] queryparser issue?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Oct 19 16:56:32 BST 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:59:45AM +0200, Marcus Ramberg wrote:
> I'm using the Xapian perl bindings, and I'm having a spot of trouble.
> the Xapian::QueryParser->set_default_op method behaves the same for
> OP_AND and OP_OR .

What does get_description return for the resulting query?

> However, I'm getting extremely
> bad performance with OP_NEAR when a lot of documents are returned.
> some searches have taken as long as 50-60 seconds, compared to the
> normal sub 0.2 second searches.

OP_NEAR (and OP_PHRASE) can be substantially slower, though your
experience sounds excessively bad.  It's worth noting that this is much
worse on a "cold" database - once you've cached the "trunk" of the
positionlist Btree things work better.  That probably only takes a
handful of phrase searches.

I'm working on improving this - flint already performs rather better
with OP_PHRASE than quartz does