[Xapian-discuss] Re: Fetching a list of doc-id's from a database

Eric Bus mail at ilovelinda.nl
Sat Oct 29 23:30:13 BST 2005

Olly Betts wrote:
> So you want to find all terms with prefix "Q" (or similar) in a
> database?

Indeed! And it's indeed very easy to do, thanks for the suggestion! I'm
still using omega and scriptindex to do the indexing, because the build
in functions are everything I need. But even I can build this small
program :)

One other question: at the moment, I'm using a queue to send new
mutations to scriptindex. A couple of processes are putting data in the
queue and another process dequeues them and runs scriptindex. For now,
I'm restarting scriptindex for each dequeued command. Would it be
possible to keep scriptindex running in the background? The dequeueing
process would start up scriptindex once and use the input/output handles
to send commands to it.

It's possible, but how does a running scriptindex affect the searches?
Will the database be in some sort of locking state during scriptindex's
run? I want to avoid the overhead of starting scriptindex for every new
mutation, but if that results in slower searches, I'll pass :)

Thanks so far!
-- Eric