[Xapian-discuss] Sorting and comparing

Floris Bos flbos at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 13:17:47 BST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the information and for the patch, this is really a big help!

For the numeric range searches I think I'll try my luck with this option:

>(2) Generate terms similar to those Omega uses for date searching.
>Omega's date searching scheme predates MatchDecider, but has the
>advantage of allowing better statistic estimates.  Essentially
>date ranges aren't any different to other ranges of numbers.  The
>main downside here is that a lot of terms get created and increase
>the size of the database.

When I do this for an integer field that can be 4 number at max (0000 to
9999) a lot of terms are generated indeed. I'll see what the effect on the
db size is but I'm also worried about query processing time. When I do a
search on documents between (example) 7243 and 8546 I'll have to pass about
35 boolean filter parameters to filter out the correct results. Isn't this
going to affect performance dramatically when this type of searches are
carried out frequently?

Are there any plans on implementing range searches in Omega, in a way that's
more efficient than generating boolean terms and filter on that?

Thanks,

- Floris