[Xapian-discuss] Mac OS X building...

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun Sep 18 08:59:45 BST 2005

This is a short tip for anyone having problems building the Python
bindings for Xapian 0.9.2 on Mac OS X (and maybe a bug report for the
maintainers of the python bindings).  I'm not sure if this is
happening to anyone else, but the bindings weren't building for me
properly.  "ld"  was reporting that it couldn't find some Python
symbols like "_PyArg_ParseTuple" and others when attempting to link
something.

In order to get the bindings to build on Mac OS, I had to change the
configure script in the xapian-bindings source, replacing all
occurrences of "-bundle" with "-bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup".
Then, in the "make" step, I needed to ensure that the environment
variable "MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET" was set to "10.3".

This boils down basically to:

$ sed -e "s/-bundle/-bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup/g" -i bak
configure
$ ./configure {opts...}
$ MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 make

I am running Tiger, FWIW.