[Xapian-discuss] Long query times

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Sep 29 16:19:47 BST 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:00:21AM -0400, tech at dbx.co.uk wrote:

> annoyingly it doesn't seem to be down to the complexity of the query -more
> to the frequency of term, a few stats :
>  a query for the single term sales takes 25-20s wheras  account
> manager,sales,telecoms takes 1s

Hmm. That sounds to me (although I could be completely wrong) like
actually reading the data needed in is taking the time. That
sounds... weird. What's in your document's data records? (set_data() /
get_data())

> I'm trying the compaction today -using quartzcompact. Is it the case that I
> can update an index once compacted if I use the -n flag?

I believe that you can update whatever you do, *but* updating a
compacted database will take longer than a non-compacted one because
it'll have to expand the database immediately you add anything to
it. The various options to quartzcompact try harder to compact, and
the more it's compacted the slower the initial update will take. After
a while, the database will start to look like an uncompacted one, at
which point updates will run at normal speed, but so will searches.

I'm not an expert on quartzcompact, though :-)