[Xapian-discuss] about stemming

durga bidaye doubtfire40008 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 04:38:40 BST 2006

Hi

 >>If you also index the unstemmed form of every term, you could transform
each term T in the query into (T OR stem(T)).

On doing this,will I get results where doc containg "T"
will have higher ranking than Doc containing "stem(T)" ?? No i suppose?

>>I'm not convinced it'll improve retrieval results though.  I'd suggest
>>trying it with a quick prototype before investing a lot of time and
>>energy into it.

I am working on a search engine where searching is done on a set of "names".
So it makes sense to give a higher ranking to a name(result) which
exactly matches the search query and a lower ranking to a name (result) which
is similar to the search query.

Thus, suppose I search for "John" I should get results where doc containing
"John" will have higher ranking and docs containing "Johnathan", doc
containing "Jonny" lower ranking.

Thanks.

Durga
doubtfire40008 at gmail.com