[Xapian-discuss] xapian library

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Apr 10 17:19:17 BST 2006

Please actually "reply" to the message you're responding to instead of
sending a new message each time - it makes it much harder to follow
the discussion because your reply isn't threaded with the mail you're
replying to...

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:25:50PM -0400, Riannamay at aol.com wrote:
> OK thanks. The xapian "library" scares me. The term "library" sounds like a
> lot of memory will be needed for this.

It shouldn't - properly used, libraries allow the same code to be used
by several different programs while only requiring it to be loaded once.
So using libraries should actually reduce memory usage.

> Does the library come automatically with  the the Xapian 9.0.5?

It's "0.9.5", not "9.0.5".

Xapian *is* the library (plus a few ancilliary tools).

> Do I need it to use Omega?

Yes, Omega is built on top of Xapian.