[Xapian-discuss] Wiki: Omega walkthrough

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Apr 24 08:59:43 BST 2006

Finally had a chance to read this - looks great, thanks Jim!

I think we can improve it ever so slightly by being a little more
explicit at the end:

> {{{
> /usr/local/bin/omindex --db /var/lib/omega/data/default
> --url /book /var/www/book
> }}}

[...]

> The --url parameter identifies the url prefix that corresponds to
> the directory we start indexing from. Since we put the documents in
> /var/www/book we need to specify --url /book. If we were adding
> files that were in the document root, we'd set use --url /.
>
> The last parameter, /var/www/book tells omindex to look for the
> documents at that location on disk. Omindex does not web crawl, it
> only looks at files on disk.

The sentence "since we put the documents in /var/www/book we need to
specify --url /book" needs unpacking in my opinion, just to mention
that /var/www is the document root. Not quite sure what to add though.

In fact, earlier one when book.0.1.tar.gz is unpacked we could perhaps
do with making this explicit as well. Immediately after the unpack
{{{...}}} code block we get:

> You may also extract the files somewhere else and copy them to your
> document root.

Perhaps we should add after that: