[Xapian-discuss] How to use Linux commands for Omega

Jim Lynch jim at fayettedigital.com
Mon Apr 24 14:55:17 BST 2006

Hm, am I to understand you're running a webserver on GoDaddy and you'd
like to use the xapian search engine there?  Do you have shell access?
In any case, I'm fairly sure you don't have root access on that system
unless it is a dedicated system.  Unfortunately I don't know of any way
to use xapian on a hosted service like GoDaddy unless they already have
xapian/omega installed.  I have 6 sites hosted at various hosting
companies and not a single one of them has xapian available.  Only two
of them allow shell access but the compilers are not available so I
couldn't even generate the libraries myself.

I suppose I could cross compile on a local system, but that's not
something I would want to do.  I suppose you could build a static binary
of omega on a local Linux system and put it on your web site, but I have
never tried anything like that.

Perhaps others can suggest a solution.
Jim.