[Xapian-discuss] Search with symbols causes search time to hemorrhage

oscaruser at programmer.net oscaruser at programmer.net
Mon Aug 7 04:46:34 BST 2006

Folks,

Searching for terms like with non-alpha numerical symbols causes great delays before search results appears. I am searching 5 M pages (~76 GB) of shopping site web data for things like "Men's Levi's Low Rise Boot Cut 527 Jeans - Downtown", which has symbols " ' ", "-". The xapian DB is on a fast SCSI RAID 0, dual Xeon configuration, but still I see long search times e.g. "Search took 166.606332 seconds". If I remove these symbols and replace them with space, the search times are good (subsecond). However if there are any weird symbols in the search string, then it takes a very long time. Is there anything that I can do about this, so that I still am searching using the special symbols, but the result time is reduced?

Thanks,
-OSC