[Xapian-discuss] Re: Indexing of email

Fabrice Colin fabrice.colin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:29:27 BST 2006

On 8/21/06, "Michael Daly" <gp at holisticgp.com.au> wrote:
> Hello xapian users
> Does xapian index email as contained within an email (either linux or
> windows) program? Please answer in regards to both the emails and
> attachments

It depends on the format used by that email program to store messages.
Omega includes a 'mbox2omega' script that transforms mailbox files in
a format suitable for the 'scriptindex' program, also part of Omega.
Usage is as follows :
mbox2omega MBOX_FILE | scriptindex INDEX_DIRECTORY
/usr/share/xapian-omega/mbox2omega.script

Alternatively, if you prefer graphical applications, both Recoll and Pinot
allow indexing and searching mailbox files :
http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/
http://pinot.berlios.de/

I am not sure whether Recoll or mbox2omega support attachements. Pinot doesn't.

I hope this helps.

Fabrice