[Xapian-discuss] zip/rar support

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Aug 27 16:10:36 BST 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 02:08:30PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:

> >>Prefixed by <urlprefix>/.zip/<path-to-archive>/<path-to-packed-file>,
> >>and the <urlprefix> script behind the query template can easily pick it
> >>up there.
> >
> >So there's a magic extra CGI script which will unpack a single file from
> >the zip (or rar or mailfolder) and send it to the web browser?
>
> Yes. This extra script (a php file) checks the cache and sends the
> already extracted part to the browser, and if it not exists in the cache
> extracts it on the fly from the url to the browser.

I'm pretty certain I've seen an apache module that does this with the
simplest possible URI layout:

/path/to/archive/path/to/packed/file

If not, with apache at least you could write it in PHP, Python or
Perl, without needing to pre-unpack the archive. Adding in caching
isn't terribly difficult.

James