[Xapian-discuss] xapian vs lucene.net

jarrod roberson jarrod at vertigrated.com
Thu Aug 31 20:20:16 BST 2006

On 8/31/06, James Aylett <james-xapian at tartarus.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 10:59:07PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > > http://www.cdlib.org/inside/projects/xtf/Search_Engine_Comparison.pdf
> >
> > The report also claims Xapian leaks memory while indexing, which just
> > isn't the case.  We've run the testsuite under valgrind for years and
> > there are no memory leaks reported.  I also don't see unbounded growth
> > in memory usage when indexing gmane.  We actually do relatively little
> > explicit allocation and deallocation of memory.
>
> We used to leak. Can't remember when, but I believe back in 2001
> Richard and I spent some time trying to figure out why I was getting
> enormous memory usage in some cases. No longer the case, as far as I'm
> aware.
>
> Does anyone have any clear comparisons? The ND Dewey report [1] I'm
> not convinced by, as their feature set comparison feels out of date,
> or at best very specific to me. It isn't really fair to compare Xapian
> to swish-e; IMHO they should compare omega instead (and then have as a
> pro that you get full API access through Xapian).
>
> [1] http://dewey.library.nd.edu/mylibrary/manual/ch/ch17.html#id2564648
>
> In terms of visibility, we're not in dmoz.org (at least, in one of the
> places Lucene is). Lucene scores a *lot* better for Google "search
> engine library"; we're top for "information retrieval library". That's
> fixable by frobbing the front page in the way we've talked about, and
> being very, very careful about phrasing :-)
>
> James

you ought to consider a freshmeat.net entry as well, I check that at
least once a week for new and updated things. get the python bindings
into the cheeseshop as well.
hyperestrainer updates are on freshmeat.net and it is nice to see when
things get updated in the rss feed on my google home page.

--
If you don't know what you want, you probably need a nap.