[Xapian-discuss] Wildcards in a boolean query

richard at lemurconsulting.com richard at lemurconsulting.com
Tue Dec 5 15:39:23 GMT 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 03:18:19PM +0000, Marek Tichy wrote:
> But when I try something like
>
> Xapian::Query((Xpublish_date1130*  AND XAPPSyes))'
>
> leaving aside that timestamps are not very useful here (todo), I get 0
> results.

Wildcards are only interpreted by the query parser: if you're creating
Query objects with the wildcard terms, you're causing Xapian to look for
terms which are literally "Xpublish_date1130*", not expanding the wildcard.

Also, remember to set the database in use before using the query parser, so
that the wildcards can be expanded.

> Is this not the way to restrict by a date range ?

It's not the best way, since it will result in a very large number of terms
being generated.  Ways of grouping terms together to represent a range of
dates have been discussed in the list in the past.  (And Omega uses one
particular method of doing this.)

--
Richard