[Xapian-discuss] Proximity in Xapian?

Sharjeel Ahmed Qureshi sharjeel.ahmed at vahzay.com
Wed Dec 6 05:56:19 GMT 2006

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:58:57AM +0500, Sharjeel Ahmed Qureshi wrote:
>> I just went through the overview of Query Processing in Xapian (
>> http://www.xapian.org/docs/overview.html &
>> http://www.xapian.org/docs/intro_ir.html ). According to the
>> documentation, Xapian does not incorporate Proximity based searching and
>> proximity based relevance.
>
> This is mentioned in overview.html, for example here:
>
>   Xapian::Query::OP_NEAR 	Return documents where the terms are with the
>   specified distance of each other.
>   Xapian::Query::OP_PHRASE 	Return documents where the terms are
>   with the specified distance of each other and in the given order.

The document explains what OP_NEAR and OP_PHRASE do but does not give
any clue of how Xapian applies these operators. For example the
execution tree of OP_OR and OP_AND etc but does not give any information
about proximity based operators.

>> My question is if positions are used for relevance during searching or
>> are they only used for proximity based searching such as PHRASE or
>> NEAR?
>
> There's no proximity based relevance at present.

Is there any plan of adding proximity based relevance in future?