[Xapian-discuss] using Xapian as backend for google

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Dec 13 13:50:17 GMT 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 04:41:56AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> The other useful thing to do is run profiling tests to identify where
> time is spent - some slow areas are obvious, but often time is spent in
> places that don't jump out at you.  On Linux, it seems oprofile is best
> for this as it profiles the whole system, so we see where I/O fits in.
> Arjen found that the unpacking of position lists in flint was taking ~5%
> of the time for a phrase search just using oprofile.

If we have a profilable large test case, I can probably persuade
someone at work to play with it under Solaris as a way of learning
DTrace. (If we're really lucky, I might be able to do it myself, but
that's not terribly likely.) That will to some extent by
Solaris-specific, but may still turn up interesting facts.