[Xapian-discuss] Is utf-8 enabled on version 0.99?

Jim k4gvo at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 21 15:53:35 GMT 2006

James Aylett wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 06:43:05PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
>

>>> PS For some reason the list refuses to send email to my old address.  If
>>> anyone knows what's up with that I'd like to know.
>>>
>> Looks like fayettedigital.com's MTA is the problem:
>>
>> $ nc fayettedigital.com 25
>> 220-host5.miwebdns5.com ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:37:47 -0500
>> 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
>> 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
>> HELO ixion.tartarus.org
>> 250 host5.miwebdns5.com Hello ixion.tartarus.org [82.211.108.121]
>> MAIL FROM:<olly at survex.com>
>> 250 OK
>> RCPT TO:<jim at fayettedigital.com>
>> 451 Could not complete sender verify callout
>>
>> There's a pause of more than 10 seconds before the 451.
>>

> Which suggests they're trying to connect to something to VRFY
> olly at survex.com. If they're being wise, they'll use the MX for
> survex.com, which is ixion.tartarus.org (Olly, it should really be
> mail.lethe.tartarus.org, but this won't make a difference). It might
> be a bug in the server at fayettedigital.com ... I can't figure out
> what else might be going wrong, as ixion is accepting SMTP fine.

>From my web hosting service:

Hello,

The sender verification process was enabled to help combat the massive
amount of spam we were seeing and the spam receiving complaints we had
received.

It looks like the mail server for survex.com (82.211.108.122) appears to
have some timeouts in place that close the SMTP connection.  It also
appears to have a delay in the connection.  When I attempt to connect to
the SMTP server at 82.211.108.122 I am connected, but it takes several
seconds before the server responds with the 220 response which tells our
server that the connection has been established.  This interferes with
the sender verification process.  I am not real sure why mail servers
are configured to act in this fashion, I'm not sure what mail servers
are attempting to accomplish in delaying the response, but I do know
that it interferes with sender verification.  A lot of mail servers all
over the world are moving to a sender verification process to help
combat spam.  This is because legitimate mail should only come from
addresses that you can reply back to.  If you are receiving messages
from an address that you cannot reply back to, then chances are that
message is a spam message.

You may want to have the administrators of the 82.211.108.122 mail
server investigate why there is a delay between the SMTP connection and
the 220 response from their server.