[Xapian-discuss] Searching in different fields

M.J. van der Veen forward at mvanderveen.nl
Sat Dec 23 14:38:51 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to index some user information and then search it. I want
to be able to search for instance a username, with the equivalent of
searching with LIKE '%name%' in a SQL language.

I've created the following index file:
userid                  :    boolean=Q unique=Q field=userid
username	    :    index=XU index field=username
name		      :    index=XN index field=name
city			 :    index=XC index field=city
province	       :    boolean=XPR
gender		      :    boolean=XG
avatar			:    boolean=XP
birthday              :    boolean=D
birthmonth           :    boolean=M
birthyear             :    boolean=Y
birthdate		:    value=1
question		:    index=XQ weight=3 index field=question
text			  :    unhtml index
style			:    boolean=XS

And I filled the database with this data.

Now, I want to search for users whose name is something like
'maarten', but can be 'maarten123' or 'smaarten3' aswell.

I'm not sure how to do this. I have specified fields, but I'm unsure
how to use these. Can anyone explain how to search within specific
fields?

Thanks,

Maarten