[Xapian-discuss] Wildcards?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Feb 9 13:40:14 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:34:00AM -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
> A client wants to be able to do wildcard searches, e. g.   where w??k
> would match week or weak and tra* where it would match anything starting
> with tra, like trash or travel, etc.
>
> Any such feature in Xapian?

Right-truncation (tra*) is supported as of 0.9.2, but due to a typo in
the documentation comments isn't in the API docs.  I'll fix that.

Pass FLAG_WILDCARD as the second argument to QueryParser::parse_query()
to enable support:

http://www.xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/classXapian_1_1QueryParser.html#a11

It may be slow for a large database and a short stem (e.g. "e*").

A single character wildcard (w??k) isn't currently supported.