[Xapian-discuss] Omega/omindex question.

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Feb 10 15:42:56 GMT 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:15:29AM -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:

> Actually I don't think so.  Sample is the small chunk of text that is a
> sort of summary but looks like it's the first few lines of the text.
> When you do a P="xxxx" you are searching an index on some field.   What
> I"m looking for is how to specify that field name, such as
> body:thisword OR title:thatword
> I know title is in there and a date and sample but what's the field name
> of the whole document?

There isn't one. By default, that's what you're searching across.

It's not entirely true to say that P="xxxx" means you are searching an
index on some field - you're constructing a query against the terms
that index the various documents in the database. Some terms are
easily generated, but some have "term prefixes", which are mapped from
their internal representation to more useful textual prefixes (and
back), so Asomething and author:something are considered equivalent
(modulo stemming).

My word, this is complex :-)

To search the body, then, you don't use a prefix in your query
string.

(We need to separate this use of the word 'field'. In my view, the
Document data should contain fields, and we should call these prefixes
something else.)