[Xapian-discuss] Phrase search performance

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Feb 22 11:34:08 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:56:43AM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:59:21PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> > You might find using a different NFS protocol version to mount the SAN
> > helps to.
>
> Sorry, do we know details on what NFS protocol version and
> implementations are being used in this case?

We don't, except that the client is x86 Linux.

But I'm aware from past experience that using a different protocol
version can make a huge difference, hence my suggestion.

> We've recently had huge performance issues with a NAS (not quite a
> SAN, but it's SAN-capable) because of NFS protocol versions.

Do you remember which protocol version was best?  My hazy memory is
that v2 was faster than v3, but that may be wrong, and it may depend
on other factors.

Another thing to try is setting rsize=8192 in the mount options.  Since
the Btree blocks are 8K (unless you override the default blocksize) and
the default block size for NFS is often 4K, I'd expect that would help.