[Xapian-discuss] Python or PHP hangs when loading a cygwin Xapian module

Thomas Deniau thomas at deniau.org
Thu Feb 23 17:22:50 GMT 2006

Thomas Deniau <thomas at deniau.org> a écrit :

> Has anyone successfully ran any bindings on Win 2000 ?

I've tried again on Windows XP.
The result is... the same.

So I guess the apphelp.dll thing wasn't the problem.

Here is exactly what I've done. Patrick, can you see what I'm doing wrong ?

- Installed Cygwin (NOT mingw, which complains about missing headers when
compiling)
- Installed the binary distribution of Python 2.4 for Windows
- Copied python24.dll to libpython24.dll (I've also tried generating
the .a file
with pexports / dlltool and got the same result)
- Inside the Cygwin shell
* Installed Python 2.4 from the source distribution
* configure, make, make install inside xapian-core
* Installed the latest SWIG from source with Kevin Ruland's patches to get the
PHP bindings to compile
* ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode inside xapian-bindings ;
* make CXXFLAGS="" PYTHON_LIBS="-L/cygdrive/c/Python24 -lpython24"
(CXXFLAGS is
needed because otherwise gcc runs out of memory when optimizing)

make failed when testing (it can't find the xapian module)

* cp python/.libs/_xapian.dll /cygdrive/c/Python24/DLLs
* copied cygxapian-10.dll to /cygdrive/c/Python24/DLLs
* copied the Cygwin DLL to the same place

- Opened c:\Python24\python.exe
- Ran "import _xapian;"

And then Python froze.

I've also tried to compile it using the Windows headers
(c:\Python24\include), but I get errors about __int64 (which could be
fixed with Olly's compile-time
flag to translate that to long long, but I don't have the PHP Windows headers
anyway and the goal is to get Python to work and then to compile PHP in the
same way - anyway Patrick didn't report having messed with long long).

Can anybody see what the problem is ?
Thanks...

--
Thomas Deniau