[Xapian-discuss] Optimization and Load balancing with Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 24 11:01:46 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:59:20PM +0200, David Levy wrote:
> I have tested my database using temporary filesystem /dev/shm, which can be
> compared to RAMDISK.
>
> Performances seems really a lot better ... as long as I don't use sorting !
> With sorting, even with this filesystem, I can have >10seconds search time.
> I am so disappointed with this issue.
> Anyone having the same needs as me ?

Yes, other people use sorting and get reasonable performance.  It's
typically not as fast as a ranked search, but >10 seconds isn't normal.

Is this through Omega?

If so, what do you get reported for the user vs system vs wallclock time
if you run omega from the command line something like this:

time /path/to/omega DB=foo P='test query' SORT=1

(just turn each CGI parameter into a command line parameter).