[Xapian-discuss] Optimization and Load balancing with Xapian

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Fri Feb 24 14:20:35 GMT 2006

David Levy wrote:
> Thanks Arjen,
>
> my hardware is not so bad ;-)
> dual xeon 3.0GHz
> RAM 2Go
> but .... IDE 200Go HD

Its not too bad indeed, but we're running with dual xeon 3.8Ghz, 8GB ram
and 5x western digital raptor's in raid5. For i/o the latter two make a
major difference of course.

> I want to test all these on my SCSI HD server too when I have time.
>
> how many matches do you have in your results in general ? 100 ? 1000 ?
> more ?

Its a bit time-consuming to browse to the end of the resultset. But when
sorting on a value it reports there are 17471 results to the query 'cpu
ram' and the timings below where for the first 100 results.

> how many values do you store in xapian ?

We have 4 different values per document. In your other response I
noticed you have a 1GB value database... for just 700k documents? That's
pretty large. Ours is just 133MB uncompacted and 64MB when compacted and
zlib-compressed!
The 4 values we store are (zero-padded) unix timestamps (32bits), which
xapian translates to string-values so that's probably just below a
hundred bytes per document.

> the times i provided are for first run queries of course :)
Well, you miss the positive effects of caching in the runs, which on the
other hand mask i/o overhead a bit.

Best regards,

Arjen