[Xapian-discuss] indexing and queryparsing: UTF-8 and PHP

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Sat Feb 25 22:08:42 GMT 2006

tata 668 scribbled on 2/25/06 3:34 PM:

> I don't really know Swish-e but it seems more html and xml oriented. I
> NEVER index any html, xml or any kind of files. I only need to index
> information like "member description" that would require slow MySQL
> plain-text search without a dedicated library like Xapian.

Swish-e is often used to index databases like mysql. Rows are converted to
virtual XML, similar to how they are with Xapian's dbi tool.

db -> filter -> xml -> swish-e

just like Xapian:

db -> dbi2omega -> xapian

Exact same idea; different tools.

I'm not trying to sell you on Swish-e; Xapian is a great tool too. I'm just
pointing out the fact that the tools are used for similar purposes.

Here's an article I wrote on the subject of indexers. It compares Xapian,
Swish-e and Lucene. Each offer different strengths.

http://dewey.library.nd.edu/mylibrary/manual/ch/ch17.html

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com