[Xapian-discuss] issues with accessing an index

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Jan 24 22:57:49 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:16:16PM +0000, Salem Berhanu wrote:

> Actually in both cases I had no indexing running (ie. when I was quering
> and compacting). Even now when I don't have anything running I keep getting
> the same messages. How can I get around this for now, next time I will try
> to avoid extensive querying while indexing.

Umm - that message means (technically :-) that the revision of the
btree being used by the query process (or the reader in quartzcompact,
I guess, although I don't know how quartzcompact works in detail) has
been discarded. Currently we keep two revisions: the current one and
the most recent before that. So two writes to the btree will discard
what had been the current one.

Hence my diagnosis, that you had something writing to the btrees (and
hence the Xapian database) while trying to read from it, such that the
length of a query took it across two or more updates to the btree.

If you're *not* indexing (or writing in any other way) at the time, I
don't know. You may have to wait until Olly gets back in a couple of
weeks for him to look into it - this is very much his territory, and
I'm really just acting as a more efficient search through the archives
in these cases :-)