[Xapian-discuss] More than one Index?

John Wards j.wards at sportnetwork.net
Mon Jan 30 13:15:41 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 12:58 +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:47:43AM +0000, John Wards wrote:
> > Is it possible to have more than one index but select what the bindings
> > search on?
> >
> > So at the moment I index property addresses, I would also like to index
> > property descriptions for more advanced searching but only as an
> > optional extra...probably in an extra search box.
>
> One way of doing this is to prefix all terms generated from the
> property descriptions, and then append the prefix to all terms out of
> that extra search box. So you might choose XDESC or something. There
> should be some info on how to do this in the scriptindex
> documentation, although it may not be as clear as it could be.

Ah so my scriptindex input file would contain:

description index=XDESC

And if I was searching for "character" I would have to add XDESC to it
so the search would be "XDESCcharacter"

Now in terms of database size what difference would this make to the
database? The description is at least 5 times the length of the address
index and I have 650,000 documents...would I have to times the database
by 5 to get an idea? Which is quite scary as the database is 1.1 gig in
size at the moment.

As for the stats I'll reply to that once I've had a play..

Cheers
John